professional ant control
Ant control and removal in the Portland OR and Vancouver, WA metro area can be a challenge for homeowners and businesses. Ants are one of the most common, numerous, and widespread insects in the world. Experts estimate that they are more 30,000 different species. Pioneer Pest Management specializes in ant extermination.
Although the most destructive of ants are the Carpenter Ants (and the similar non-ant – the Termite), any ant population can be a problem or annoyance in your home or lawn.
COMMON ANTS IN PORTLAND OREGON
The most common small ants that are found in the Portland OR metro area are the Pavement Ants, Odorous House Ants, and Moisture Ants.
- Color: Dark brown to blackish
- Size: 1/8-inch long
- Feed on: eat almost anything, including insects, seeds, honeydew, honey, bread, meats, nuts and cheese.
- Nests: live in or under pavement cracks
- Identifying Characteristic: piles of sand on sidewalks, driveways, or even basement floors from nests beneath.
ODOROUS HOUSE ANTS
- Color: Brown or black
- Size: 1/16-1/8-inch long
- Feed on: Drawn primarily to sweets, especially melon
- Nests: make their homes in exposed soil and wall cracks.
- Identifying Characteristic: a strong, rotten coconut-like smell when crushed.
- Color: yellow to dark brown
- Size: about 1/8 inch long
- Feed on: sweets, often entering homes to feed on sugary foods
- Nests: make nests in water damaged, decaying wood, where they can accelerate decay and weaken structures
- Identifying Characteristic: notched back on the ant and nesting signs of cardboard-like tunneling in moist wood and sawdust under entry/exit points
VELVETY TREE ANTS
- Color: velvety black abdomen with dark head and reddish thorax
- Size: 1/8 to 1/4 inch
- Feed on: sweets, honeydew, and insects
- Nests: nest in dead wood, such as old trees and logs; may also infest structural wood and insulation
- Identifying Characteristic: this ant gets its name from its glistening abdomen made up of dense, fine hairs; it has a very distinct odor when crushed
- Color:Red and Black
- Feed On:Mainly other insects but also plants.
- Nests:Mounds made from yard debris.
- Identifying Characteristic:Their bright red head. Also, their mounds are hard to miss consisting of small sticks and pine needles.
- Color:Light to dark brown.
- Size:1/8 inch long, while queen can get to 1/4 inch.
- Feed:Worker ants prefer sweet foods, while the queen and larvae prefer proteins.
- Nests:Wherever food and water can be found, including homes.
- Identifying Characteristic:When killed, they emit a musty odor and are wingless.
ANT CONTROL PROBLEMS
Ants will invade structures in search of food or shelter. Whether invading in high numbers or constantly trailing in one by one, ants can be a great nuisance and annoyance when they infest homes and businesses.
But ants can also cause problems in and around the structures:
- When they find food, ants lay a trail from the nest for their fellow workers to follow – so ant infestations can quickly grow to high numbers.
- They will forage for food and can contaminate foods on which they feed.
- Some ants bite or sting, and may cause allergic reaction in sensitive people.
- Pavement ants can cause unsightly piles of sand in sidewalks, driveways, or even basements, under which they build their nests.
- Some ants can carry disease or be host to disease-causing organisms.
- Ants can be difficult to control, because, in most cases, the “queen” or queens of the colony must be eliminated to stop population growth.
PIONEER ANT REMOVAL AND EXTERMINATION
As a part of the ant-prone Northwest U.S., Oregon residents often have continuing ant issues. For this reason, an ongoing pest management maintenance program provides a cost-effective way for homeowners and businesses to manage ant issues.
Ant management is a part of Pioneer Pest Management’s Home Defense and Commercial Protection ongoing maintenance programs.
To protect your family, home, or business, we:
- Inspect the property to identify the invading ant, attractant, and means of entry.
- We will implement Integrated Pest Management (IPM) strategies to reduce or eliminate populations and control infestations.
- When needed, the IPM service will include use of professional baits or insecticides for maximum control.
- We will also recommend areas of exclusion, sanitation, or other actions you can take to help reduce ant attraction, means of entry, and future invasion.
- As a part of the Pioneer Home Defense and Commercial Protection programs, we will maintain a constant vigilance against new populations and respond to any such service request you may have.
Pioneer Pest Management
2401 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
Portland, OR 97212